Saturday 13 August 2011

#cam23 Google Docs

Embedding Google Docs in a website is something that I hadn't realised was possible until Thing 9 and the example of Faculty of Classics Library book recommendation came along. This has much potential in a library setting, and I'd never realised that these kind of things could be generated by Google Docs and not some complicated and expensive software - a pleasant surprise! As well as the classic things like book recommendations, comments and suggestions, I'm sure there are many other uses for the forms that can be generated. I had a go at creating a form for people to sign up for an imaginary cake-eating contest at the library (must have been feeling hungry when making it!), and found it fairly straightforward, although I haven't quite got as far as making it look nice when embedded in a blog post.

I sympathise with Murmation's post about how Google Docs could have saved her worrying about emailing copies of documents to herself, and saving them to memory sticks then trying to work out which was the most up to date version. Despite having used Google Docs before to share documents with other people, I never think to use it for this purpose, and resolutely stick to using memory sticks (if I have one to hand at the time) or emailing documents to myself (if I don't). I'm not too sure why, perhaps it's just habit? Next time I need to work on a document on two different computers, I'll try and remember about Google Docs...

No comments:

Post a Comment