Tuesday 23 August 2011

Reflecting - #cpd23 and #cam23

Now I've started on the Chartership journey, I need to work on my reflecting skills. The reflective writing chapter in Margaret Chapman's Building your portfolio book was a good starting point and kept me busy on a recent train journey! I found Random musings of a librarian, almost's post on reflective writing really helpful. I have been thinking about attending a reflective writing workshop but couldn't make the recent one in my area, so it is useful to read a summary of one, and how participants found it.

So, how have cpd23 and cam23 things been going so far? Well, I'm still behind and playing catch up, mostly due to generally being busy and doing both 23 things programmes at the same time. There is some overlap with the things, which is always a nice surprise - it feels like getting to tick off two thngs in one (and I'm a big fan of ticking things off to-do lists!) Sometimes it's hard to fit reflection in, so thanks 23 things for making sure I do this.

Networking
I attended both cam23 and cpd23 networking events in Cambridge and enjoyed putting names and faces to blogs, and meeting people whose blogs I hadn't read but now follow. For me, this is one of the key benefits of 23 things.

Cam23
Things I like (or These are a few of my favourite things):
Twitter, but mostly to follow people and tweet my blog posts. I don't log in regularly enough to really join in conversations, so this is something I might work on.
Screencasting - both useful and fun!
Doodle
Google calendar
What I have learnt: Cambridge Libraries widget is really useful! Also that Google documents can generate forms that can be embedded in websites, and that there are some creative bloggers out there!
What will I use most in my working life? Hard to say at the moment, but perhaps Twitter. Currently many of the things are more useful for my general professional development than directly relevant to my day to day job, but this of course may change.

Cpd23
What have I learnt and how can I apply it? So far, the most useful thing for me has been finding time to think about my online presence so it's not just accidental but has a little more thought to it, even if more work is needed on it! I'm looking forward to a lot of catching up and many new things to explore over the next few weeks.

This was actually quite a hard post to write, so I must need some more practise at reflecting - roll on cpd23 things 19 and 23, and cam23 things 18 and 23!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really behind with 23 Things too, and haven't even done a post for the first reflection week yet! Ooh, interesting to know that you're embarking on chartership. We'll have to have a chat about it sometime, as I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first reflection week post - I just timed it well so coincided with the second reflection week! Yes, happy to chat about chartership with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete