Tuesday 6 September 2011

#cpd23 Online networks

I really liked Helen Murphy's summary of the benefits of online networking on the cpd23 blog - simple and I think she's right! I'm glad I have got involved in online networking to some extent : better known, better connected and better equipped are all good things to aim for. I have really noticed with Twitter that there are trends, events, discussions that I would not have heard about if it weren't for Twitter. Here are my thoughts on some other online networks:

LinkedIn - I first heard of this when doing 23 Things Cambridge last summer. I had a look, decided it wasn't for me so didn't join and promptly forgot about it (and ignored an invitation to join from my father - sorry Dad!) I've gone back to look at profiles of those kind people who let themselves be linked to from the cpd23 blog, but I'm still hesitant to put my CV online. I can see there are benefits to joining, but I don't want to join unless I'm sure I will keep it up to date.

Facebook - I'm a regular on here, but in my personal life only. If I worked in a small library then I would probably create a Facebook page for the library, along the lines of the Cambridge college and department library websites e.g. Selwyn College or English Faculty Library.
LISNPN - This is a great idea. I'm a member here, and find the resources really useful e.g. chartership portfolio information, events etc. I don't remember to log in all that often though...

Librarians as Teachers Network - not relevant to me at the moment, but I will remember this for the future if I end up in a role that includes a lot of teaching.

CILIP Communities - I've heard of this but never investigated it before, so had a play around with it and found my own page (which I hadn't realised existed and is of course currently completely empty!). It's quite useful to have a list of CILIP blogs in one place. I'd be interested to hear how others use CILIP Communities.

Overall, I'm a fan of online networks, but I prefer to join the ones that I think will be most useful and relevant, and then leave the others. I figure there's not much point in joining networks and setting up profiles if I only ever log in twice, my profile gets out of date and I don't actually connect with anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment