Tuesday 20 September 2011

Pictures, podcasts and creative commons #cam23

Since I last used flickr, the layout has changed a bit, but I'm glad to see the Creative Commons licensed images are still there, and easy to find via a tickbox on the advanced search. This is such a useful feature! Talking of useful (my favourite thing to look for in a web 2.0 tool) Imagecodr really makes it easy to ensure the image is properly attributed, so here is my first shot at using it:
Season of by alexbrn, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  alexbrn 
I also find the preview function on Imagecodr very helpful - so far, I think I'm a fan.

I don't use podcasts very often, but in a university and/or library setting they can be great for things like inductions, video tutorials and lectures. A student friend of mine finds podcasts a good way of spending time while he sits supervising an experiment - as they are in short bursts, they don't require a long time concentrating (which is good when you want to keep an eye on your experiment and make sure nothing is going wrong). Podcasts are probably useful for people who are short on time or who have short attention spans, or want to fill time while on journeys etc.

I hadn't explored the CILIP communities podcasts before, but there are some interesting sounding ones there, so it's worth remembering. I haven't subscribed to it, but may go back and search for information on a particular topic. As I have just got an iTunes account, I searched there and came across http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/los-angeles-public-library/id280972438?ign-mpt=uo%3D4. I'm sure there are other public libraries who put on talks and speeches who do this too, but it struck me as a nice way of making the library more visible, reaching out to those who missed the talks, and making the most of the effort that has gone into putting on the talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment