Thursday 22 September 2011

Wikis #cam23

Of course I love wikipedia, but I've never really used any other wikis. It was interesting to read about how wikis have been used for managing project information, and even staff intranets and staff manuals. I wonder if Google Documents would work as well for managing project information? The documents would be all in one place and could be edited by anyone working on the project. My library already has an intranet with manuals, procedures etc on there, so I don't currently need to use a wiki for this. The advantage of wikis when creating staff manuals and procedure documents is that they are collaborative and many people can edit them (useful if more than one person has a great tip that they want to add, or a section to update).

Having compared the BizWiki and the Business Blog,  I think the Business Blog has a nicer and clearer look to it. In terms of engaging with users, I know I am more likely to comment on a blog post than to do so on a wiki. The other advantage of blogs is that people can subscribe to an RSS feed to be notified whenever a new post has been added. I'm not sure if this is possible with wikis?

Overall then, wikipedia aside, I think I prefer blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment