Monday 12 September 2011

Online bookmarking #cam23

I'm not going to talk about Delicious, as I have explored it before. Instead, I had a look at Diigo and Readitlater, which are both completely new things to me.

Diigo
I had trouble adding the Diigolet tool to the favourites bar, but it seemed to work fine from my favourites list. I really liked the highlighting feature, so that I can easily spot which part of a webpage was the important part to me and the reason I highlighted the page. The little 'preview' button on the My Library page is a useful tool as well, as this shows a screenshot of the page you bookmarked. As for the organisation of bookmarks and tags - perhaps not as good as Delicious (as you can't bundle the tags), but it beats the standard browser favourites list. Of course, as with Delicious, the key thing here is that the list is not tied to one machine, but can be accessed anywhere via the web.


Photo: Highlighter in HDR by Arria Belli

Readitlater
Their website says "it eliminates cluttering of bookmarks with sites that are merely of a one-time interest". My usual strategy for dealing with a one-off bookmark (e.g. something I'll read once) has always been to bookmark it until I have looked at it, then delete it or add to a favourites category if it turns out to be useful to refer back to in future. While readitlater is probably great if you have lots of one-off bookmarks, as I only have the odd one here and there I think I will stick to my usual method of bookmarking them, simply so that I have one less place to look for bookmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment