Wednesday 21 September 2011

Things galore - presentations and visualisation #cam23

I've previously blogged about slideshare here, but haven't used it since. I just had another look to see if there were any interesting new presentations up there. There seemed to be a lot more advert-style presentations compared to last time, but it may have just been the search terms I was using that brought up more of those (e.g. ebook) I found an interesting presentation called Library 2.0 jump-start your library with blogging and Twitter which had some useful tips on it.

I've seen a few Prezis and like their visual appeal, but I've never created one before. First I signed up with Prezi and explored a few. One that caught my eye was on the history of candy. I did find on occasion when moving through it quickly that it was a little bit motion-sickness inducing - one thing to beware of when creating mine! I then found a more serious but effective Prezi on the history of evolution. I think Prezis are harder to make look good than may first appear, but I had fun making mine! Here it is:


Onto Gliffy next. I particularly like the flowcharts, which look just as professional as those done in Microsoft Visio. This would have been really useful to know a few months ago in my previous role, when I had several flowcharts to create. I had to do them on a colleague's computer as it was the only one with a Visio licence. I also found organisational charts can be awkward to create if you have a large or complicated organisational structure which doesn't easily fit into the powerpoint templates. So, is Gliffy any better? Well I didn't have much time to play around with it, but it wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped. Perhaps once you get the hang of it, it will be easy to produce slick-looking things. I definately found it easier to start from scratch rather than use a template. One to come back to perhaps!

Finally for this post - Wordle. My wordle is quite different to the one that I created for the first 23 things. This time library features less, but I'm glad to see 'useful' still features quite strongly!

No comments:

Post a Comment